B M Birla Science Centre
B M Birla Science Centre
The B M Birla Science Centre is one of the most prestigious institutions in the country for the dissemination of science and has several innovative programmes for the popularization of science and formal and non-formal education and research. It is recognized both as an Institute of Higher Education and for R&D.
Over the past 34 years the Science Centre has evolved into a reputed centre of excellence and has been propagating the cause of science and technology tirelessly, apart from inculcating scientific temper in the youth of the nation. This is evidenced by the fact that no less than thirty Nobel Laureates and several other equally Eminent Scientists, the President of India Dr. A.P.J Abdul kalam, three Prime Ministers of the day, Shri Rajiv Gandhi, Shri P.V. Narasimha Rao and Shri I.K. Gujral, Shri Krishna Kanth, the then Vice President and any number of important public dignitaries, Governors, Chief Ministers, Ambassadors.., have taken part in its multifarious activities.
Some Salient Features
The Centre is amongst the busiest and best attended and best rated in the world.
- The Centre has one of the most prestigious ongoing Distinguished Visitorship Programmes anywhere. Lectures are delivered under four heads: The B M Birla Memorial Lecture, Frontiers of Science Forum Lecture Series, B M Birla Science Centre Lecture Series and the G P Birla Distinguished Lecture Series. The Distinguished Visitors include Sir Fred Hoyle, Sir Hermann Bondi, Prof. Philip Morrison, Prof. Yuval Ne’eman and Nobel Laureates Prof. Abdus Salam, Prof. William Fowler, Prof. Van Der Meer, Prof. Antony Hewish, Prof. Lord George Porter, Prof. Norman Ramsey, Prof. Werner Arber, Prof. Ilya Prigogine, Prof. De Gennes, Prof. Norman Borlaug, Sir Aaron Klug, Prof. James Watson, Prof. Roald hoffman, the Dalai Lama, Prof. Klaus Von Klitzing, Sir John Kendrew, Prof. Steven Chu, Prof. Gerard’t Hooft, Prof. Charles Townes, Sir Harold Kroto, Prof. Douglas Osheroff, Prof. Cohen Tannoudji, Prof. Robert Curl, Prof. William D. Phillips, Prof. Antony Leggett, Prof. Ei-ichi Negishi, Prof. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, Prof. Serge Haroche, Prof. T Kajita, Prof. Martin Chalfie and others.
- The Centre has instituted several awards. These include the B M Birla Science Prizes, amongst the most prestigious awards for Indian Scientists and the Life Time Achievement in Sciences Awards given to a selection from amongst the greatest living scientists in the world. The Awardees include: Nobel Laureates Prof. Abdus Salam, Prof. Norman Borlaug, Sir Aaron Klug, Prof. James Watson, Prof. Ilya Prigogine, Prof. Roald Hoffman, Prof. Klaus Von Klitzing, Prof. Gerard’t Hooft,. Prof. Charles Townes, Prof. Douglas Osheroff, Prof. Cohen Tannoudji, Prof. Robert Curl, Prof. William D. Phillips, Prof. Antony Leggett and others.
- The G P Birla Distinguished Award has been given to Nobel Laureates Prof. Ei-ichi Negishi, Prof. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, Prof. Serge Haroche, Prof. Kajita and Prof. Martin Chalfie.
- By 1995 the Centre had achieved a breakthrough, for the first time in the country, in the field of Natural Language Processing Software, by developing a grammar based translator, Birla Trans, which was presented to the Government.
- The Centre has carried out several nationally relevant and important research projects in fields ranging from Artificial Intelligence to Ancient Indian Science and Technology.
- The International Institute for Applicable Mathematics and Information Sciences for research programmes in Theoretical Physics, Astronomy and Computer Sciences. It is based in Hyderabad and in the University of Udine, Italy.
- The Science Projects Division has helped to establish several Science Centres in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and elsewhere.
- The Centre routinely organizes every year several Science Camps, Exhibitions, Activity Competitions etc., for students and teachers.
- The Centre organizes National and International Symposia every year on Science and Technology related topics and Ancient Indian Astronomy and Science.
- The Centre has undertaken prestigious multi year projects, with other European Institutes under the European Union Economic Cross Cultural Programme and other European Programmes. Under this a large number of Workshops on Science and Technology topics are organized both in India and in Europe.